Sunday 2 December 2012

'Wild Rice' Korean Style


A friend took me along to a Korean grocery a few days ago and I thoroughly enjoyed the new experience.  We had a good look around and I left with brown rice/green tea, Xylitol chewing gum, a huge orange pear, and Hyunmi O gok, a cereal to add when cooking white rice.  

I put the usual amount of white rice and salt into my rice cooker but added a handful of the Hyunmi O gok with more water.  The resulting dish, resembles wild rice, with a touch of rosy chestnut colour, and  dark brown/blackish grains scattered through out.  The flavour is more robust and the Korean cereal adds nutrition.

Here is the recipe:

2 cups/350g/12 oz white rice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 pints/3/4 litre water
A handful of Hyunmi O gok

Simply put all of the above ingredients into your rice cooker or in a pan on top of the hob.  Cook as you would usually, with just occasional stirring.  Makes 4-6 servings.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment